Sunday, May 18, 2014

Shadow's Turning- Part 4



Chapter 3

I kept my arms close to my sides as I walked the few blocks to the address Mindy had given me, making sure to walk toward the outside of the flow of traffic, near the road.
And away from any stray charms.
The park was in the middle of the city, shaded with the synthetic leaves attached to the facsimiles of trees that were installed there.  Real trees would not only be too pricey, but would have to be guarded continuously.
Which would pretty much defeat the point of having a public park.
At least the grass was real.
I looked down at the card to verify the number.
It was a discrete brick front building on a narrow plot of land, the real estate here so expensive I knew even that much cost a pretty penny.
The buildings on either side were just far enough away to be in line with building regulations.  One was a lawyer’s office, the other a dentist’s.
This one was not so clearly marked.
Or marked at all.  The only reason I knew it was the right place was because it fell between the numbers on the buildings on either side.
Stepping out of the crowd, I opened the waist-high gate and climbed the short steps up to the heavy metal door.  When I couldn’t find a doorbell, I finally settled for giving the smooth metal surface a few firm knocks.
I waited, not hearing anything from inside.
I pulled off my sunglasses as I looked around the small landing trying to figure out what was niggling at the back of my mind.  Something was just a little off…
The door swung open, cutting off my train of thought.
I took an involuntary step back.
Physically, he wasn’t overly tall, around six feet.  Though all of it was hard with muscle from what I could see.  His biceps strained the sleeves of the olive green t-shirt that stretched over his broad shoulders.  Black jeans outlined the taught muscle of his long legs and my eyes stopped at his feet, which were startlingly bare against the dark wood of the floor, the smooth brown skin in mellow contrast to it.
I looked back up to the baleful glare that had first made me step back, the light brown eyes tinged with a hint of red piercing under the dark slashes of his eyebrows.
The dark shadow of a beard framed a full mouth and his nose was strong with the slightest hook to it.  It gave his face a smoldering sensuality that I’m sure turned heads.
With his darker coloring, I would have expected his hair to be black, but it was a silky brown a couple of shades lighter than his eyebrows and eyelashes and a few shades darker than his skin.  It was long enough to fall over his high forehead and brush his eyes.
He ran his hand impatiently through his hair, shoving it back and giving me a flash of a dark tattoo peeking out from the bottom of his sleeve.
“Yes?  Do you want something?” he said brusquely, his eyes moving behind me to scan the street.
“I’m looking for a Simon Birch?” I asked hesitantly, suddenly unsure whether Mindy had been trying to be helpful at all.
Those unnerving coppery eyes shot back to me as he took a closer look, eyes quickly scanning me.
He raised a brow.
“Mindy gave me your address.  She said you might be able to help me,” I said, taking another step back.  “But I think she might have made a mistake.  I’m sorry to have bothered you.”
I flashed him an insincere smile and turned to step down.
A large hand clamped down on my shoulder.
“Wait.  Come in.”
I turned back to him and he let go, no longer giving me that glare, though he still didn’t exactly look welcoming.  The doorway behind him led into a dark interior the light didn’t quite penetrate.
I wasn’t reassured, but I had nowhere else to turn.
He followed me in, close enough that I could feel the heat of his body along my back.
Closing the door, he shut out the bright light of day.  I twitched a little at the snick of the lock sliding into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment