Thursday, June 26, 2014

Shadow's Turning- Part 12



Birch let go of me and shoved me back the way we’d come.
“Freeze!  Put your hands up!”
The hall spit us back out into the alley we’d entered from.  Birch took the lead again, taking us to the street out front.
One officer was standing next to his car, leaning back with his hips resting against the passenger door, a bored expression on his face.
Birch didn’t hesitate, just barreled right past him.
“Get in!” he yelled, veering over to the driver’s side of his car.  Thank God we’d gotten a good parking spot.
I scrambled into the passenger side just as he squealed away from the curb, my door still open.
“Shit!”
I took a hold of the headrest and reached out to slam the door shut before feeling for the seatbelt.
“Where are we going?” I gasped, out of breath.
“Away.”
Very informative.
I held onto the sissy bar as he jerked the wheel to the right and careened around a corner, cars honking in our wake.
I might not have to worry about being caught.
Birch was going to kill both of us.
I glanced back to find two police cruisers coming after us, their obnoxiously loud sirens blaring.
When I turned back around, I saw another one coming towards us.
“Hold on.”
What did he think I’d been doing?
He executed a tight u-turn that barely missed two cars, one of the drivers slamming on the brakes and flipping us the middle finger.
Multi-tasking.
We shot past the gaping police officers who’d been following us.
The street in front of us was almost empty now, the impending sunset driving everyone inside.
Birch turned the car onto the highway on-ramp.
“But it’s-”
I closed my eyes and covered my head with my arms as we drove right through the barrier that was put up after curfew.
The car jerked as we crashed through, but Birch kept control, his forearms tensing as he kept the wheel in the correct position.  He punched the gas as we reached the deserted lanes.
The sound of sirens faded in the background and I checked the rearview mirror.
The road was empty behind us.
I checked my watch.
Ten minutes to sundown.

No comments:

Post a Comment