Monday, June 30, 2014

Shadow's Turning- Part 13



“I’m really hoping you have some super-secret bolt hole you’re taking us to.”
I looked over at his tight face and felt my stomach sink.
He pushed it right to edge, pulling over to the side of the road with a minute left.  Leaning over, he pushed the hazard light button down and held it there.
I heard an odd click and then a tumbling sound from the roof.
I jerked as something clattered against the window.
I squinted at the window and then the windshield, now covered by…wooden blinds?
“They’re charmed.”
I looked over at Birch, bemused.
“It’s not a guarantee we’ll make it.  I haven’t actually had to try them out yet.  But the car is also bulletproof, including the glass.”
I felt a slight surge of hope.  But then I remembered the night before and crashed back down.
“Maybe I should get out,” I said, my heart in my throat as I thought about going out there alone.
“Shut up.  You can’t disengage the locks until dawn.”  He reached down and unbuckled his belt, sliding it out of the loops.  “Put your hands behind your back.”
I didn’t hesitate.
He wrapped my wrists together in some sort of complicated knot.
“Good?”
I tried to get out of it, but I couldn’t.  It was tight, but I didn’t feel like my circulation was cut off.
I nodded.
“Alright, let’s move back.”
He moved smoothly between the two seats in front to the back and steadied me as I moved back too.
He went on a knee to look over the seat to the storage area and came back up with a crossbow.  He set it across his lap.
Then we waited.
I tried to ignore the odd sounds coming from outside.  Clicking, skittering, moans so low I almost couldn’t hear them.
If only my pounding heart was a little louder.
Something hit the car hard enough to rock it.  A squeal so high-pitched I hunched up my shoulders in a vain attempt to cover my ears followed.
Birch sat with his eyes unfocused, not really looking at anything, but I was sure aware of everything.  I shifted in my seat and he flicked his eyes to me and then away again.
“Don’t worry- I’ll let you know if I get the urge to claw my way out,” I murmured, trying for light hearted but missing the mark.
His lips curled up briefly anyway.
Something heavy thumped onto the roof but then just as quickly stumbled off with a discordant metallic scraping sound.
Nothing else happened for some time after that, and I relaxed in spite of myself.

I leaned back against the door, my fingers caressing the smooth plastic of the handle.
“Sara.”
I looked at Birch questioningly.
“Get away from the door.”
I jerked away from the door on a surge of panic.  And felt the immediate urge to go back to it.
Birch and I locked eyes, his face grim.

No comments:

Post a Comment